Act No. 364/2004 Coll. on waters as amended, amending Act of the National Council of the Slovak Republic No. 372/1990 Coll. on offenses as amended (Water Act), is the basic legal regulation regulating water protection.
In 2019, a slight decrease (index 0.97) was recorded within Slovenské elektrárne in the consumption of technological and cooling water for the production of electricity and heat mainly due to lower generation at the Vojany Power Plant compared to previous year. Slovenské elektrárne has managed to maintain a steady trend in water consumption since 2014.
There was a slight year-on-year increase in drinking water consumption at Slovenské elektrárne in 2019, but a long-term trend has been maintained.
Waste water release
Each Slovenské elektrárne plant has been issued a basic permit by the supervisory authority, setting out the:
- Limit of the amount of released waste water and manner of waste water measurement.
- Limit of concentration and balance values for indicators of discharged pollutants in waste water.
- Place, period and frequency of waste water sampling.
Waste water analysis is provided by independent accredited laboratories.
To protect and prevent pollution, monitoring systems have been set up in the individual plants of Slovenské elektrárne, which ensure monitoring of the impact of power plants operation on the environment. The purpose of groundwater and surface water monitoring is in particular:
- Ensure control of the impact of operation of individual plants and their surroundings on ground and surface water, being one of the environment components.
- Arrange for underlying materials to ensure regular information providing to controlling and supervisory bodies.
- Continuously obtain data on hydrological and hydrogeological condition of water in the localities of particular plants and their surroundings in order to create data sets for historical data analysis and accuracy of reference levels.